Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Freaking Out

The person who bought the house I used to live in, which is across the street from me, has torn up the front garden I so lovingly designed and planted. This is why it's best not to live across the street from your old house. Really the only thing bothering me a lot is the purple hellebore actually removed WHILE BLOOMING. OMG. OK. I have to calm down. There are some black plastic bags in front of the house...is my hellebore in there? Can I look? Should I leave a note? If it's garbage, can I take it?

4 comments:

Jane M. said...

Update: It was fate. I went over and saw a lone, sad hellebore blossom peeking out of one of the bags. The plant inside was chopped up, but OK. I grabbed 3 sections. It's garbage day. I may not have another chance.

Anonymous said...

Hooray - you hellebore rescuer you!
Perhaps your new neighbor would enjoy a class on gardening...
:-) deb e

Kathy said...

Marion Tobey of Tobeytown Nurseries now lives in an apartment with a view of her former garden, which the new owner is not maintaining to her standards. It can be very difficult. But I'm glad you rescued it. I'm surprised you didn't make digging up plants a requirement for the sale.

Jane M. said...

I wanted to, but I thought it would be "unfair." Some special things I did take, and over the years I've divided stuff here and there, with permission. The hellebores I left because they don't transplant well. It's been six years since we lived there, and she's the second new owner since our long-term tenant left, so, yeah, I should have been more proactive about getting things out. I just thought, it will always be there. Silliness!