Saturday, July 19, 2008

Today's Column...

Is about a Man and his Giant Geranium. For visual reference, here's a picture Karl sent me:


And here are some of the plants I reference that have the big tuberous roots & stems and little tiny leaves. I'm not exactly sure how to point to pictures on another site, and that's what I'm trying to do, and I certainly hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws! They are Pelargonium crassiscaule and P. antidysentericum. I don't talk about this in the column, but traditionally, these plants have been used medicinally as well as for perfumery and flavoring. I have to assume that the latter species was at some point used against dysentery. These pictures are from rareexotics.com.



The column should be up at the Democrat & Chronicle Web site.

No comments: