Monday, September 04, 2006

It's HERE!


P9030002.JPG
Originally uploaded by Jane Milliman.
I've been waiting for ages to see this plant in the flesh. Terra Nova teased me with a slide and a press release a few years ago, but when I asked them please to send a plug, they were all out. Grrrr. So yesterday, I'm taking a quick trip around the back gardens at Sara's in Brockport (quick because it's raining and I'm cold), when this little guy leaps out at me.

Mukdenia rossii 'Crimson Fans' is a petite groundcover for shade (yes, it will grow under trees—I've seen the green version doing well there at Cornell Plantations). I won't describe the foliage as you can see it for yourself here, and I haven't seen flowers or pictures of flowers, but being that it's a close relative, I image they're similar to that of garden saxifrage.

I didn't see Kathy to ask her whether she had any in stock, but if it's in her display garden, it can only be a matter of time.

3 comments:

Jane M. said...

Update: I did e-mail Kathy, and she doesn't have any in, but hopes to for spring. I've got my name on one already, for sure.

Unknown said...

Every time I see a picture of 'Crimson Fans' in a catalog or online, I think "I have to have that!" And I can never find one. I hope that you have some luck--and that it means more nurseries are starting to carry it!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.